Are You Eligible to Vote Absentee?
Registered voters entitled to vote by absentee ballot are:
Please note: If you registered to vote by mail and this is your first time voting, you may not vote absentee by mail (exceptions apply for students away at school and disabled persons). You may vote at your normal polling location or vote an absentee ballot in person at the Voter Registration Office or an available satellite absentee voting location.
- Active duty military, their spouses and dependents
- Students and their spouses away at school
- People absent on election day for business or vacation
- People working and commuting to and from home for 11 or more hours, between 6:00 am and 7:00 pm
- Electoral board members, registrars, and election officers
- People with a physical disability or illness, including pregnancy
- People who are the primary caretaker of a confined family member
- People who are temporarily confined
- People with a religious obligation
- People temporarily residing outside of the U.S.
- First responders who may be absent while they are working on election day
If you are active duty military, or if you are the spouse or dependent of active duty military personnel, or if you are a United States citizen living abroad, you may fill out the Federal Post Card Application
. Please read the 'Official Election Notice' for military and overseas citizens by clicking here
Absentee voting is done through the mail or in person prior to election day. In order to vote absentee, an Absentee Ballot Application
must be completed prior to voting. Please note that while clicking on the link will bring up an interactive fillable PDF, you must still print and sign the form before sending in via mail, email, or fax.
Effective July 1, 2012 people who register to vote for the first time in Virginia (does not apply to address changes or in-state moves) will be required to wait 5 days before being issued an absentee ballot. An absentee ballot application can be completed at the time of registration and the ballot will be mailed at the conclusion of the waiting period.
How Do You Submit the Application?
Completed and signed applications can be submitted in the following ways;
- Mail to; Voter Registration Office, 750 Miller Dr. SE, Suite C, Leesburg VA 20175
- Fax to; 703-777-0622
- Email to;
When Will You Get A Ballot?
Ballots are mailed beginning approximately 45 days before each election. Ballots are mailed the next business day after the Absentee Ballot Applications are received.
When is Your Ballot Counted?
All absentee ballots, those sent by mail and those cast in-person, are counted on election day in Virginia, as if the ballots were cast in a polling place
. Ballots must be received by 7:00 pm on election day in order to be counted. The last day to request a ballot to be mailed is the Tuesday preceding election day.
Other Information About Absentee Ballot Applications
You can send in an Absentee Ballot Application for any election to be held the following year, up to the next November election.
If your ballot doesn't arrive within a reasonable time, please call us at 703-777-0380 or email us at