Marriage Licenses

Requirements & Fees 

  • Both applicants must be 18 years of age unless emancipated by a court order (Virginia Code § 20-48)
  • Both applicants must appear and present valid government-issued photo identification, including foreign identification legible in English
  • Fee for a marriage license is $30 (payable by cash or credit card (PDF))
  • Loudoun County residency, proof of divorce, witnesses, or blood tests are not required to obtain a marriage license from the Loudoun County Clerk of Circuit Court

Marriage License

  • Parties are encouraged to complete and submit an Application Online prior to arriving at the courthouse; alternatively, the application can be completed upon arrival
  • Once the application is submitted, applicants should schedule In-Office Appointment or Virtual Appearance Appointment 
  • Marriage license is valid for 60 days from the date of issue and is to be used for a marriage ceremony in the Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Marriage license can’t be issued retroactively
  • A marriage license/certificate can’t be issued to document a marriage that had taken place outside the United States; legal marriages that take place overseas are recognized as legal and documentation supplied by a foreign agency will serve as proof of marriage
  • Unused/expired marriage licenses must be returned to the Clerk’s Office (Virginia Code § 20-21)

Marriage Ceremony

  • The couple is responsible for making arrangements for the ceremony and the marriage officiant 
  • The clerk's office does not have anyone on staff to perform marriage ceremonies
  • The clerk's office does not have a venue to hold ceremonies
  • List of Civil Celebrants (PDF) qualified by Loudoun County Circuit Court; the person performing the ceremony is permitted to charge fees (Virginia Code § 20-27) 
  • Officiant will retain both copies of the marriage license and shall file it with the Clerk of the Circuit Court within 5 days following the ceremony (Virginia Code §32.1-267 (C))
  • Celebrants are encouraged to review the Notice and Instructions for Celebrants (PDF) before performing a ceremony

Copies of the Marriage License/Certificate

Clerk’s Office issues certified and exemplified copies of the licenses issued by the Loudoun County Clerk of Circuit Court upon request, copies are not mailed out automatically.

  • Certified copy is used as legal proof of marriage within the United States; the fee is $2.50 each. To request:
  • Exemplified copy (aka "triple seal") is required for an Apostille or Great Seal that will be used as proof of marriage overseas; the fee is $5 each. To request:

Virginia Department of Health-Division of Vital Records issues copies of marriage records and renders Single Status Certificates; proceed to the agency's website for further information: 

Secretary of the Commonwealth prepares authenticated copies (Apostille or Great Seal); proceed to the agency's website for further information: 

You may be able to obtain a copy of a vital record by visiting your local Virginia DMV

Name Change pursuant to Marriage

  • If spouses are changing last name(s) only, certified copy of the marriage license will serve as proof of name change. Copies will need to be presented to pertinent government agencies as well as employer(s), insurance provider(s), financial institution(s) etc. to update their respective records
  • Government agencies that may need to be notified are outlined here
  • Name change that requires a court order can be filed with Civil Division

Amendment of Marriage License

  • Appointment is preferred
  • Fee to amend a marriage license after the marriage has been performed is $10
  • Party amending the information shall present proof of the requested change, e.g. original document with certified translation, if applicable; please contact our division regarding specific documentation required for your specific circumstances
  • Customers requesting amendment to their marriage license should arrive no later than 3:30pm to allow sufficient time for processing
  • Once your record is amended with the issuing Clerk's office, your record will still need to be amended with the Vital Record; contact the office directly for further guidance. 

Additional Resources