COVID-19 Update Regarding Inspections
On July 1, 2020, Building and Development will resume in-person building and trade inspections. Virtual inspections will no longer be performed.
All inspectors will be required to wear face coverings and maintain a safe distance from others. Whenever possible, inspectors will ask to be directed to the entrance closest to the work needing inspection to avoid walking through a residence.
Inspections that were not eligible for the virtual inspection process, such as gas inspections in occupied residential structures, can be scheduled for on or after July 1, 2020.
Customers may schedule all inspections through the Web Automated Inspection Request System (WAIRS).
For questions, please call Building and Development at 703-777-0220, and select option 1.
Schedule inspections through the Web Automated Inspection Request System (WAIRS) for the following permit types:
- WAIRS may also be used to cancel inspections and obtain inspection results. Inspections may be scheduled for the following work day or for a future date, but may not be scheduled for weekend or county holidays. The cut-off time for scheduling/requesting inspections for the following workday is 12 midnight.
- Inspections are completed between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Re-inspection fees may be charged when inspections are performed for work not ready for inspection.
- It is strongly recommended you keep your permit number(s) in a secure location.
- Only those authorized to schedule inspections for the job should have access to the permit number(s).
- For inquiries about the building code, building plan review and building inspections, contact the Building Code Enforcement / Inspections Division at 703-777-0220.
- Inspectors may be reached in the office from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.