Holiday, Emergencies & Weather Schedules: Loudoun County Buses
Emergency Service Plan
The Emergency Service Plan (PDF) is invoked at Loudoun County's discretion. It is a good idea to read and become familiar with the Emergency Service Plan so that you will understand how the bus services will operate in the event of emergency or event. The plan is divided into two parts:
- 2021-2022 Emergency Service Plan: Delayed Morning Service (PDF)
- 2021-2022 Emergency Service Plan: Early Afternoon Dismissal (PDF)
The plan may be invoked for reasons that include, but are not limited to:
- The prediction of Inclement Weather in the morning or afternoon that could have a significant impact on commuter bus services.
- Inclement weather that inhibits a full slate of commuter bus drivers from getting to work.
- An emergency or event that inhibits the commuter buses from getting into or out of Washington, D.C.
Personal Emergency Service Plan
Emergencies can happen at any time and are not necessarily life threatening. Staff recommends that all bus riders create their own emergency service plan that may or may not include the commuter bus service. At a minimum, your plans should include the following:
- Knowledge of alternate stops in case your regular stop is unavailable (Accident, protest, gas line break, etc)
- Knowledge of alternate routes and schedules that may be available to get you back to your park and ride lot or as close to it as possible. (Loudoun Metro-Connection routes or even Fairfax Connector routes)
- Knowledge of the posted "Emergency Service Plan," so that you have a good understanding of where to go and what to expect if this plan is invoked.
- Alternate travel plans that do not include a bus. This plan could be used when something happens at home and you need to get back to Loudoun in the late morning when commuter buses aren't running or if the only way out of DC and Arlington is using the metro and the Silver Line is not available. For example, you could take the Orange Line to Vienna and have a friend or loved one pick you up.
There is no service on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Loudoun County operates a significantly reduced schedule on the following federal holidays:
- Indigenous Peoples Day
- Veterans Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents Day
Loudoun County Transit provides schedule changes and other important information in a few different ways, including Transit app notifications and email alerts. Find out more at loudoun.gov/rideralerts. We will also post weather-related changes or other schedule changes caused by unforeseen events on the website at loudoun.gov/buschanges.