Courts Complex Expansion
- The Courts Complex Expansion project includes the design and construction of a new 92,000-square-foot Loudoun County District Courthouse and renovation of existing courts facilities, including new parking facilities.
- The new courthouse will be located on the current Church Street Parking Lot at the corner of Church Street and Edwards Ferry Road in downtown Leesburg.
- The existing courthouse (18 East Market Street) and historic Valley Bank building (20 East Market Street) will be renovated.
- Parking lots and pedestrian access to the courts buildings will be improved. A new parking garage has been constructed next to the existing Pennington Lot.
Current Status: January 2021
- The construction of the new Loudoun County Courthouse is reaching a new milestone - the erection of the building’s steel structure is scheduled to begin. This next phase in the project requires a crane and trucks carrying steel to the jobsite. As a result, residents should expect travel delays in the vicinity of the new courthouse due to partial road closures.
- Construction activity associated with a temporary access point to the Pennington Parking Garage at the southeast corner of the garage has ramped up this week, beginning October 13, 2020. As a result, residents in the area may observe increased construction activity as crews work to build a driveway and pedestrian walkway between the garage and North Street, NE in Leesburg. Construction of the new access point is expected to last two weeks.
- The new driveway will provide temporary access to the garage in preparation for the closure of Church Street, NE, which will temporarily close access to the garage through the main entrance. The temporary closure of the section of Church Street that currently accesses the Pennington Lot and Garage is necessary for crews to improve the road. Construction of the improvements to Church Street are scheduled to begin in the spring of 2021.
- Residents who drive or walk through the Town of Leesburg will notice construction crews drilling foundation elements on both Saturday and Sunday for several weeks during September and October 2020. The construction crews will be working between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekends. Those in the vicinity of the new Courthouse should expect an increase in construction noise.
- The contractor continues to install building foundations and is planning steel erection.
- Loudoun County has contracted with McDonough Bolyard Peck, Inc. (MBP) to perform preconstruction surveys for property owners within 450 feet of the primary construction site in Leesburg. Two letters have been mailed to eligible property owners. If MBP does not receive a response from an eligible property owner prior to the start of construction, a preconstruction survey of their property will not take place.
- The last day that parking will be available in the Church Street Lot and Semones Lot is Friday, April 3, 2020. Those lots will close to be used for the staging of equipment and the construction of the new building.
- Visitors to the Loudoun County Courthouse may park for free at the Pennington Garage and Pennington Lot, which are located approximately two blocks away off of Church Street NE in Leesburg. Shuttle service from the Pennington Garage and Pennington Lot to the courthouse will run approximately every ten minutes, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. A walking path between the parking areas and the courthouse will be maintained throughout the duration of construction. View parking details and a map of the shuttle route and walking path in this flyer (PDF).
- Construction is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 6, 2020 and is expected to take approximately 2.5 years.
- Residents who drive or walk through the Town of Leesburg may notice an increase in construction activity along Church Street, NE, near the site of the new Loudoun County Courthouse.
- The sidewalk on the east side of Church Street will close to pedestrians through the duration of the construction project.
- In the coming months, Church Street is expected to close while a tunnel under the road is constructed. The county will announce the planned closure of Church Street in advance.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Courts Complex Expansion.
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- November 14, 2019: Construction Schedule and Impacts Presentation (PDF)
- November 14, 2019: Summary of Timeline and Impacts (PDF)
- July 16, 2019: Loudoun County Courthouse Expansion Phase III Public Information Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- April 23, 2019: Project Status Update (PDF)
- February 16, 2017: Pennington Parking Structure Presentation (PDF)
- February 16, 2017: Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FY 2014 Adopted CIP: Courts Complex Phase III Description (PDF)
- For questions about the Courthouse project, contact Nicholas Brown, DTCI Construction Manager by email or 571-285-3435 or Kay Jackson, McDonough Bolyard Peck, Inc. Senior Project Manager by email or 703-772-6576.
- For questions about the Pennington Parking Garage, Email Scott Worrest or call 571-258-3876.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.