Child Care Providers & Zoning
A Child Care Home with more than four (4) "non-resident" children under the age of 13 must apply for a county zoning permit. In addition, Child Care Homes must comply with the regulations in Article 5: Section 5-609, and Article 8 of the Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance
To apply for a zoning permit for a Child Care Home, the provider will need to submit the following:
- A completed Zoning Application Packet for Child Care Home Permit (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- A plat of the property showing:
Submit an application
Submit the completed permit application and required drawings in one of the following ways:
- Online: Upload and submit your completed application form and required documentation here
- In person (paper submission): Building and Development
Loudoun County Government Center
1 Harrison Street, SE.
Leesburg, Virginia 20175
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Pay application fees
Permit fees must be paid once the county has completed the review process and you are notified that the permit is ready to be issued. Permits must be issued before your project can begin.
For assistance with completing the permit application, contact Building and Development at 703-777-0220.
Thirty-Day Notification Period
Virginia State Code Section 15.2-2292.B mandates that the county notify the owners of property adjacent to a proposed Child Care Home when a provider submits a Zoning Permit application for a Child Care Home.
- Adjacent property owners have up to 30 days from the date the notification letter was sent to provide a written objection to the proposed Child Care Home use to the Zoning Administrator
- If the Zoning Administrator receives no written objection from any adjacent property owner and determines that the Child Care Home is allowed, the Zoning Administrator will issue the zoning permit
- Applicant pays the $200 zoning permit fee, and then picks up the zoning permit
Minor Special Exception Process
If the county receives an objection, the zoning permit application may be put on hold while the applicant pursues a Minor Special Exception. Learn about the Minor Special Exception Process (PDF).
The Virginia Department of Social Service is responsible for issuing a state license for Family Day Homes and for enforcing the applicable state regulations. As part of the procedure for issuing a state license, the Family Day Home/Child Care Home provider will be required to submit a form for the Loudoun County Zoning Administrator’s signature, signifying that the proposed Family Day Home/Child Care Home complies with county regulations. The state will only issue a license for a Family Day Home/Child Care Home to the extent that the use meets the county’s Zoning Ordinance regulations.
Before applying for a county zoning permit for a Child Care Home business, providers who live in a neighborhood that has a homeowners association (HOA) are urged to check with their HOA to determine if the HOA permits the home business use and if any HOA approval is required.
Child Care Home providers are urged to contact the Commissioner of Revenue for any business license requirements.
Be aware that each of Loudoun County’s incorporated towns may have varying zoning ordinances. For specific information, contact the zoning office for the town in which you live.