VA Stormwater Management Program (VSMP)

As a VSMP Authority, Loudoun County issues and administers permits for regulated land disturbing activities to ensure compliance with the regulations both during and after construction.

  1. Application Package
  2. Single-Family Detached Residence Application
  3. VSMP Authority

VSMP Application Package (for projects other than Single-Family Detached Residences)

The VSMP application package is typically submitted as a companion to a Land Development Application (LDA) (i.e., one that will result in land disturbance, such as a Site Plan or Construction Plans and Profiles) or a Grading Permit application.

Required Documentation

The following documents are required for a VSMP application:

  1. Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)
  2. Completed Registration Statement (PDF) (including 8.5” x 11” site map)
    • Indicate the latitude and longitude of the project, the Hydrologic Unit Code(s) in which the project is located, and the name(s) of the receiving waters on the form.  
  3. Completed Permit Fee Form (PDF)

Submit an Application

Submit your completed VSMP Permit Application Package with the required documentation outlined above online in PDF format.  


After submitting, you will be contacted with your required fee amount prior to payment.

Fees are collected both by Loudoun County and the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The applicant may choose to:

  • Pay the total county VSMP fee at the time the VSMP application package is submitted,
  • Pay 50% of the county VSMP fee up front, with the remainder to be paid prior to permit issuance.
  • Learn about payment options.

Once all Stormwater Management and Erosion and Sediment Control comments have been addressed and all fees have been paid, the county will send permit data to DEQ. DEQ will then contact the applicant regarding payment of the state fee.

VSMP Permitting Process Overview

Additional Information

For more information, email James Edmonds, Department of Building and Development, or by calling 703-777-0220.