Teen Events & Programs
Saturday, May 8, 2021
Livestreamed from the Franklin Park Arts Center YouTube channel beginning at 2 p.m. The livestream link will be available May 1.
Tickets for Livestreamed Event
MEMENTO MORI, THE MELODIES, NAH!, ANTIGRAVITY, KING ST, ACHE HARVEST, THE KNUCKLEHEADS, SKOMUCON NITRO, NUCLEAR DEATH COUNT, EVA ULREICH, JOCELYN LONG, ELIJAH ON THE GUITAR, JOANNA KIM, MIA S, BEN DEMASE, SELA CAMPBELL, LALA ELAINE, ALEXANDER ULREICH, CARNATIC GUITAR
Forward Turn is youth-led charitable grantmaking program that takes a “forward turn” to benefit communities in Fauquier and Loudoun Counties. Forward Turn is a partner with Youth Advisory Council in Loudoun County and funded by the S. Murray and Mary H.C. Rust Student Philanthropy Project endowment of the Community Foundation for Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties. Forward Turn Youth Advisors consider applications that Strengthen Positive Lifestyles, Create United Communities, and Encourage Community Involvement in Loudoun and Fauquier Counties.
Ideas for grants include initiatives that:
- Address substance abuse and eating disorders in teens
- Tutorial, mentoring, and educational support programs
- Educate teen users about internet safety
- Teach tolerance and anti-bullying to teens
- Improve school attendance, reduce high-school drop out, and improve teen motivation
- Demonstrate road safety and safe driving practices
- Build meaningful links between youth, adults, and/or elderly
- Abate teen pregnancy
- Help with teen hunger, clothing, shelter, and poverty influences
- Bring awareness and helpful programs for teen depression and suicide
- Support programs that protect and preserve our environment
Loudoun County PRCS and Loudoun County Public Libraries are partnering on a virtual TEDEd program for middle school and high school students. This will be a self-paced program with guidance from teen youth leaders and adult support staff. The only requirement is that you have to show up to each session and complete all of the homework outside of the program.
TED-Ed Club’s mission is to spark and celebrate the ideas of every student and educator in the world, and we’re excited to welcome you on the journey! Read on to learn more about TED’s global student voice initiative and how to get involved.
What exactly is the TED-Ed Student Talks Program?
• It supports students in discovering, developing and sharing their ideas in the form of TED-style talks.
• It is a space for students to explore, think critically about and discuss ideas.
• It is a platform that helps students develop presentation literacy skills, while connecting them to a global community.
The next session of the TEDEd Virtual Club will begin on Wednesday January 6th, 2021 at 6 PM. Sessions will meet biweekly for an hour via Go-to-Meeting. Please email email@example.com for more information on how to attend!
Teen Volunteer Program
- Provides an opportunity to complete your community service hours in a dynamic setting
- Volunteer opportunities vary and may include service hours in children’s programs, parks and community centers
- Current volunteer opportunities are for high school teens.
- Check out our latest video.
How to participate
- Submit the PRCS volunteer application..
- Instruct your three references to complete this online reference form.. Do not complete the form yourself.ns a New Window.
- Opens a New Window. Email Youth Services to attend volunteer orientation and receive more information. Opens a New Window.
For Parents of Teens
- In order to develop their communication skills, teens are required to complete the application, contact references, make program inquires and handle professional communication on their own.
- To keep parents informed, teens can copy parents on email communications, and our staff will use "reply-all" when responding.
- Opportunities for teens to volunteer and help in the community throughout the county.
- Assessments and long-range planning for youth and families.
- Research, database development, and grant writing to secure funding for direct service agencies.
- Development of and participation in private / public collaborative efforts to fill gaps in services.
- Information and referral, publication of comprehensive resource guides and awareness of campaign materials.
- Community education efforts through community groups and schools, including theater productions aimed at AIDS, teen pregnancy prevention, and tobacco use prevention.
PRCS provides diverse and inclusive youth outreach services targeting antisocial behaviors, juvenile delinquency, school drop-out prevention and the promotion of personal responsibility through the cultivation of self-esteem and self-image.
Youth outreach includes after-school programs in partnership with community organizations, mentoring programs, Loudoun County Public Schools, Loudoun County Juvenile Court Services and intervention programs.
Youth Advisory Council
The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is a student-led organization of highly motivated teens who reside in Loudoun County. As a leadership-development, community-service and civic-engagement program, mentoring is provided by PRCS Youth Initiative and Teen Services specialists.
YAC hosts four committees with elected chairs who report to the elected YAC Board members. New members are welcome to join the following committees based on operational needs.
- Programming: Plan, organize and implement events (e.g., Battle of the Bands, LoCo ImprovFest, Step Up Loudoun).
- Creative: Maintain the YAC website Opens a New Window. and host public speaking events for teens.
- Outreach: Market YAC and events to the community and manage YAC social media.
- Policy & Activism: Enhances involvement in leadership and community service opportunities throughout the county.
YAC also serves as a recognized medium for presenting ideas and opinions of Loudoun County’s youth to the community and its leaders. Elected YAC Board members sit on the Board of Supervisors-appointed Advisory Commission on Youth, ensuring that Loudoun’s youth voice is heard by elected officials.
- Briar Woods High School: Underclassmen
- Broad Run High School: All grades
- Dominion High School: All grades
- Freedom High School: All grades
- Heritage High School: All grades
- Loudoun County High School: All grades
- Loudoun Valley High School: All grades
- Homeschool/Private School: All grades
- Independence High School: All grades
- Park View High School: Underclassmen
- Potomac Falls High School: All grades
- Stone Bridge High School: All grades
- Tuscarora High School: Underclassmen
- Woodgrove High School: All grades
Underclassmen: Grades 9-10 Upperclassmen: Grades 11-12