Hiring a Contractor

If you are hiring a contractor to perform work on your home, below is important information for you to know.

Contractors listed on a building permit application must have a valid Virginia State Contractors License and Loudoun County Business License.

Contractor Licenses

  • The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) regulates and licenses contractors who have completed required testing.
  • To verify if a contractor is licensed, enter the license number or business name through the DPOR License Lookup or call 804-367-5800, TTY 711.
    • Your contractor should be able to provide the state-issued contractor license number.  
    • You can also view  complaints and disciplinary actions that may have been taken against the licensee.

Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL)

  • Contractors working in Loudoun should be registered for Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) tax with the Loudoun County Commissioner of the Revenue even if their business office is located in another Virginia locality, or state.
  • If your property is located in an incorporated town, the contractor should obtain a BPOL license from the respective town. 
    • If unsure whether your property is within an incorporated town, enter the property address in the Parcel Database. The “Billing District” field will tell you if the property is located within a town.
  • BPOL licenses issued to contractors is a receipt provided for taxes paid, not an indication of the proficiency of the contractor or quality of work performed.

Related Resources