County Closures & Operating Status
Loudoun County Government is practicing social distancing in County facilities and other measures that help limit the spread of germs, including COVID-19. As a result, how the county delivers services may be adjusted to accommodate these necessary public health precautions. We encourage you to access the county’s many online services and to limit visits to county facilities to only those that are necessary. Before visiting any county building, please review change to operations below.
Last updated at 3/27/20 at 3:45 p.m.
- Effective March 20, 2020, Friday hours have changed. Dispatch call hours are now 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and adoption hours are 11:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Business hours remain 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- All shelter tours, volunteer training, humane education activities and rabies vaccine and microchip clinics have been canceled for the remainder of March.
- All adoptions now require an appointment. Read details on the process.
Building and Development
- Effective March 23, 2020, the department’s lobby areas at 1 Harrison Street, Leesburg, are closed to the public.
- All of the department’s services will continue to be provided during normal operating hours, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Customers may contact the department 703-777-0220, email or Loudoun Express Request.
- All inspections inside occupied residential structures, including leased residential properties, will be completed without entering the structure and by using video-telephony, video or photographs which show that work is code compliant. Learn more about the process.
- Customers may continue to schedule inspections through the Web Automated Inspection Request System (WAIRS).
- Permit and plan applications may be dropped off on tables set up outside the department’s main lobby area on the second floor of the Government Center. Customers are encouraged to complete their permit applications prior to arrival.
- Effective March 24, 2020, the office lobby at 1 Harrison St., Leesburg is closed to the public, except by appointment.
- To make an appointment, or answer inquiries, staff are available by phone 703-777-0307 or by email, Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- A designated drop-off area for documents is located outside the County Attorney’s office on the fifth floor of the Government Center.
- Many criminal and civil matters have been rescheduled.
- Read the order from the Chief Judge of the Loudoun Circuit Court (PDF)
- Read the order from the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia.(PDF)
General District Court
- The Loudoun County General District Courts are closed through April 17.
- The clerk’s office is open during this time.
- During this time, the court will not hear any cases with the exceptions of the following: (1) Motions; (2) Bond Motions; (3) Protective Orders; (4) Arraignments; (5) Unlawful Detainers; (6) Preliminary Hearings where the defendant is in jail.
Juvenile Domestic Relations Court
- All currently-scheduled cases on the civil status and civil mediation dockets, and civil contested matters on the docket are canceled through April 17.
- All criminal matters for incarcerated juveniles remain on the docket.
- All foster care cases remain on the docket.
- Arraignments for non-incarcerated adults/juveniles that are presently scheduled will be continued.
- Protective orders remain on the docket; arraignments and bond hearings for incarcerated adults will be conducted via video; criminal cases for incarcerated adults remain on the docket.
Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Effective March 26, 2020, in-person transactions at the Civil and Criminal Divisions’ public windows will be limited. Details here.
- A by-appointment-only policy is in place for marriage licenses and notary public commissions.
- The historic records research room is closed.
- Drop boxes have been established at customer service windows for attorneys, title companies and other clients to deliver documents for legal filing and recordation.
- More information at loudoun.gov/clerk
Adult Detention Center
The Loudoun Adult Detention Center has implemented measures to ensure the health and well-being of the facilities inmates, staff and visitors.
- Loudoun County medical contractor has increased the observation and assessment of all incoming inmates entering the facility.
- Onsite video visitation is canceled – Tablet video visitation continues for friends and loved ones. All inmates have access to these tablets.
- All volunteer programs in the facility have been postponed to protect staff and inmates at the facility until further direction from the CDC.
- Inmates will still have privilege to meet their attorney in the non-contact visitation booths.
- All tours of the facility are cancelled.
Juvenile Detention Center
- All visitation is suspended until further notice.
Effective March 20 – April 3, 2020
- The Eastern Family Services Center (21641 Ridge Top Circle, Sterling) and the DFS Office located at the Shenandoah Building (102 Heritage Way, Leesburg) are closed for walk-in services.
- Staff will be available by phone or appointment only, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. For assistance, call Information and Referral at 703-777-0420.
- To apply for public assistance, such as Medicaid, SNAP, TANF, LTC, Childcare Subsidy, visit commonhelp.virginia.gov or call 1-855-635-4370.
- For questions about your public assistance case, contact your Public Assistance Eligibility Worker. Documents can be emailed.
- For help finding childcare, visit vachildcare.com/, call 1-866-KIDS-TLC, or email.
- To apply for unemployment benefits, visit vec.virginia.gov or call 1-866-832-2363.
Elections and Voter Registration
- Appointments are required for any business other than absentee voting or voter registration. Call 703-777-0380 or email
- For in-person absentee voting at the Office of Elections and Voter Registration, 750 Miller Drive SE, Suite C in Leesburg, only curbside absentee voting will be offered. Signs will direct voters to contact election officials upon arrival.
- For in-person voter registration, applications will be available in the lobby and can be completed on-site and dropped off. Voters will not be permitted into the office.
- More information on absentee and in-person voting.
- The Leesburg Clinic (102 Heritage Way, Leesburg, VA 20176) is no longer accepting walk-ins. Call 703-777-0236 to make an appointment.
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing is not being provided at the Leesburg Clinic (102 Heritage Way, Leesburg, VA 20176) or the Ashburn Clinic (45201 Research Place, Ashburn) until further notice.
Juvenile Court Service Unit
- The Ashburn location (45201 Research Place) is closed until further notice.
- The Leesburg location (18 East Market St.) remains open.
- For questions, call 703-777-0303.
Loudoun County Public Library
Mapping and Geographic Information
- Effective March 24, 2020, the office lobby at 1 Harrison Street, Leesburg is closed to the public.
- Services will be provided during the Office’s normal operating hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Call 703-771-5778 or email with questions or requests.
- Address applications and checklists can be downloaded at loudoun.gov/omagi and submitted electronically or mailed to:
Loudoun County Office of Mapping & Geographic Information
Attn: Address Coordinator
PO Box 7000
Leesburg, VA 20177
- Find information about Conservation Easements in Loudoun County.
- For links to interactive maps and GIS data, visit Loudoun County GeoHub.
Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Developmental Services (MHSADS)
- Effective March 25, 2020, Access, the same day walk-in assessment program, will only be accepting phone calls Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 2 p.m. Call 703-771-5155 for assistance.
- Behavioral Health Outpatient is contacting individuals to address appointments.
- MHSADS clinics at Shenandoah Office Building (102 Heritage Way, Leesburg) and at the Eastern Loudoun Service Center (21641 Ridge Top Circle, Suite 210, Sterling) will shorten operational hours to 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday for the foreseeable future.
- If you are experiencing a behavioral health crisis, Emergency Services are available 24 hours daily, seven days per week at 703-777-0320.
For general information questions, email asktheMHSADSdirector@loudoun.gov or call 703-771-5155.
Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS)
Planning and Zoning
- Effective March 24, 2020, walk-in service is suspended.
- The Customer Service Center will be available by phone 703-777-0246 (option 5), LEx, or email, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- The main Planning and Zoning email is continuously monitored. Customers will receive a response to email inquiries.
- A designated drop-off area is located outside the Planning and Zoning’s lobby doors on the third floor of the Government Center for:
- Plans and application submissions
- Deliveries from FedEx, UPS, and couriers
- Referrals from Building and Development
- If necessary, staff will be available by appointment. To make an appointment, call 703-777-0246 (Press 5) or email.
- Potential delays in legislative land development application reviews may occur.
- Electronic submissions of applications are encouraged.
- In-person Pre-Application meetings will not be held, but will be held by conference call or online meeting.
- For assistance, call 703-777-0246 or email.
- Fingerprinting services at all Sheriff’s Office locations are suspended until further notice.
Effective March 30, 2020:
- Commuter Bus Service: Temporarily suspend all commuter bus routes to and from Washington DC, Rosslyn, Crystal City and the Pentagon.
- Metro-Connection: Reduce or suspend service on all routes.
- Metro Connection and Local Fixed Routes: Waive fare collection for up to 60 days with the ability for an extension.
- Metro Connection: Passenger loading through the rear door, where available, to meet social distancing protocols.
- There are no service changes for the Local Fixed Route service at this time.
- More information.
Transportation and Capital Infrastructure
- The Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure offices (101 Blue Seal Drive, Leesburg) are to walk-in customers.
- Members of the public may contact DTCI for an appointment by phone, 703-777-0396, or by email.
Workforce Resource Center
- The Workforce Resource Center is closed to walk-in customers until further notice. This includes for all workshops and job events.
- Resume critiques, employment coaching sessions and eligibility determination for the WIOA program will be conducted via telephone/email.
- New virtual resources are now available at loudoun.gov/wrc, including a job readiness workshops, mock interviews, and much more.
- For general information about the WRC, please call 703-777-0150.
Receive updates from Loudoun County
- Text LCCOVID19 to 888777 to receive text alerts from Loudoun County about COVID-19
- Sign up for email and text updates on COVID-19 in Notify Me, Blogs category
- Follow the Loudoun County Government Facebook Page and @LoudounCoGovt
Loudoun County Public Schools
Contact us with Questions
- Email the Health Department
- Call the information line: 703-737-8300
- Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday-Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m