Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Between 2013 and 2018, significant flooding events were experienced by residents along Farnborough Place, Osterly Lane, Trongate Court, Berkhamstead Place, and Saxon Shore Drive, resulting in damage to residential structures.
- A 2019 study found that a buyout program is the most viable flood mitigation option because it removes all risk of structural flooding during a 100-year storm event.
September 17, 2021
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has responded to the county’s March 2021 request to reassess the data used in FEMA’s February 2021 Letter of Map Amendment.
- FEMA’s final decision is to update the current December 2020 FEMA flood map to incorporate the more detailed information required to provide an accurate picture of current flood risk.
- View a copy of the draft map here (PDF).
- The draft map shows a closer view of the subject area as well as additional elevations within the established floodplain.
- If there are no appeals, comments or unforeseen issues, the map should become effective January 31, 2022.
- This more detailed information will allow FEMA to make more precise determinations for the homes in a future Letter of Map Amendment. The county will work with FEMA on reissuing a new LOMA determination that reflects the current flood risk of homes within the Special Flood Hazard Area. Staff estimates that the new Letter of Map Amendment may be completed by March 2022.
September 16, 2021
- At its meeting on Monday, September 13, 2021, the Board of Supervisors’ Finance/Government Operations and Economic Development Committee recommended that the Board direct staff to develop guidelines that would allow affected property owners to choose whether to sell their property to the county or to perform their own mitigation using county grant funding.
- View the video of the September 13 meeting
- This option will be considered by the full Board of Supervisors at its business meeting on Tuesday, October 5, 2021.
- To learn how to sign up to speak at this meeting, please visit this webpage.
- If approved by the Board at the October 5 meeting, county staff will develop potential guidelines, cost estimates, and funding alternatives for the project.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category
If you have questions about the flood mitigation project, email project manager Maggie Auer at the Department of Building and Development or call 703-737-0222.
- February 24, 2021 VDEM Letter Confirming Submission of Grant Application (PDF)
- January 11, 2021 Flood Insurance Rate Map and Study (PDF)
- October 13, 2020 Finance Committee Meeting Item (PDF)
- May 5, 2020 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- February 10, 2020 Community Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Staff Presentation: Floodplain Analysis and Mitigation Alternatives (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- Watershed Analysis by Wood PLC (PDF)
- FEMA Letter of Map Revision Effective June 17, 2019 (PDF)
- FEMA Letter of Map Revision Effective December 28, 2020 (PDF)
- Learn more about FEMA’s acquisition/buyout mitigation activity.(PDF)