Sheds and Agricultural Structures 

Sheds are considered accessory structures to residential dwellings. Garages are not considered sheds.

Agricultural structures are for agricultural uses, such as barns and run-in sheds.

  1. Permits
  2. Additional Considerations
  3. Fees
  4. Inspections

Required Permits

Additional Documentation

In addition to the permit application, you are required to submit the following:

For agricultural or farm structures only:

For all sheds and agricultural structures:

  • Plat of property showing:
  • Statement of Owner/Lessee (PDF) if the permit is issued to the property owner. 
  • Grading Permit for Erosion and Sedimentation Control If the disturbed area is greater than 5,000 square feet or if the location is within the Mountainside Development Overlay District, Limestone Overlay District, or within Steep Slopes Areas.  
    • Contact Erosion and Sediment Control at 571-258-3125 for any questions on the Grading Permit approval process.
  • Electrical Permit may be required. This should include detail of, but not limited to: fixtures/lights, sub panels, receptacles/outlets, etc.

How to Apply

  • Submit an application, a plat of your property, and other required documentation in one of the following ways: 
    • Online in LandMARC - (Account required)
    • In person: Building and Development
      Loudoun County Government Center
      1 Harrison Street, SE.
      Leesburg, Virginia 20175
      Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.


Call Building and Development at 703-777-0220, option 1.