Migrant Labor Camps, Summer Camps & Campgrounds
All campgrounds (with three or more campsites and/or overnight accommodations for tents or RVs), summer camps (that provide overnight accommodations), and migrant labor camps (that serve as living quarters), and must have a Virginia Department of Health (VDH) permit.
Any structure used as living quarters by migrant workers engaged in agricultural or fishing activities, including related food processing, are permitted and inspected as migrant labor camps.
To establish a migrant labor camp, complete a Migrant Labor Camp Permit Application (PDF) 30 days prior to the proposed opening date. There is no permit fee and the permit must be renewed each year.
- Code of Virginia: Migrant Labor Camps - Definitions
- Code of Virginia: Rules and Regulations Governing the Construction and Maintenance of Migrant Labor Camps
- Code of Federal Regulations: Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Housing Standards
- Code of Federal Regulations: Employment and Training Administration (ETA) Housing Standards
Summer camps that provide overnight accommodations for education, recreation and activities for children under 18 years old may be required to obtain a health department permit. The permit focuses on general cleanliness, water supply, sewage disposal, food safety, and swimming facilities.
To establish a summer camp, complete a Summer Camp Permit Application (PDF) 30 days prior to the proposed opening date. Permit must be renewed each year.
Campgrounds with three or more campsites intended for overnight accommodations for tents or RVs are required to obtain a health department permit. Temporary camping is allowed for up to 14 days if the camping is for a short duration of time, like at a music festival or historical reenactment. The permit focuses on providing safe drinking water, sufficient sewage disposal, and effective vector control.
New & Renovated Campgrounds
All new and renovated campgrounds must complete the Campground Plan Review Application (PDF) and return with $40 plan review fee.
Renewal of Operations Permit
Owners of all operating campgrounds are required to complete the Campground Permit Application (PDF) annually to issue and renew the campground permit. Permits will be issued to the owner.
- Code of Virginia: Rules and Regulations Governing Campgrounds
- Virginia Department of Health: Information about Temporary Campgrounds