Comment on the Draft Zoning Ordinance
Input into the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project from the public is an important part of the public process. Members of the Board of Supervisors will review and consider information provided to them through all communication channels as revisions to the draft Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance are accomplished.
Submit a Comment
You may submit comments to the Board of Supervisors throughout the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project online and by phone.
- Submit comments using this online form (letters and other documents may be submitted through this form)
- Call 703-777-0246
Public Comments to the Board of Supervisors
The Board of Supervisors has begun to receive input from members of the public regarding the Planning Commission Draft Zoning Ordinance (July 6, 2023).
- Online Form Submission: View comments submitted by members of the public through the ZOR online comment form (PDF)
- Letters: View letters submitted by various stakeholder groups and other members of the public (PDF)
Past Public Comments to the Planning Commission
Analysis of Public Comment to the Planning Commission
Loudoun County analyzed thousands of comments through various methods to inform the Planning Commission's review of the ordinance and to better understand the common themes raised by members of the public, which informed revisions to Zoning Ordinance to ensure public input was considered and addressed while developing the Planning Commission Draft Zoning Ordinance.
The county's analysis through a consultant used a combination of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and other programmatic tools, as well as manual synthesis of information, to produce their results. The findings show that periods of high comment frequencies corresponded to public meetings and comment review periods following the release of new draft chapters, demonstrating that the public was successfully engaged in the development of the Planning Commission Draft Zoning Ordinance through intentional outreach efforts by staff. The AI analysis also shows that comment topics that were present in many initial comments later fell to a small minority of overall comments, indicating that the Commission and staff were largely successful in addressing concerns as they were brought forth by the public. Finally, this analysis demonstrated that while organizations and interest groups provided most comments, individual citizens were highly engaged in the process providing 30 percent of all comments received.
How Public Comments Were Previously Received
During the Planning Commission's review of the ordinance, the commission received comments through a number of channels, which included the following:
- Focus Groups
- Community Meetings
- enCodePlus online planning tool (90-day comment period, April-July 2022)
- Online comment forms
- Loudoun Online Land Applications system
- Planning Commission Public Hearings (August 30, 2022, and January 24, 2023)
Review Past Comments to the Planning Commission
Comments that have been submitted by a broad range of organizations and residents of Loudoun County have been documented throughout the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project. The comments are posted below for review.
- Letters: View letters received from stakeholders since the project launch in September 2019. (PDF).
- 90-Day Comment Period via enCosePlus System:
- Between April 18, 2022 and July 19, 2022, individuals could review the April 18, 2022, version of the draft Zoning Ordinance and submit comments through enCodePlus, an online planning tool.
- Read a complete and final report of public comments received through enCodePlus. (PDF).