Posted on December 31, 2020 at 3:37 PM by MaryFrances Forcier
With the arrival of the first shipment of COVID-19 vaccine, the first rounds of vaccinations are underway in Loudoun County. The county is following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) vaccination plan, which determines how the vaccine will be provided to the community in a phased approach. While there is currently a limited supply, Loudoun County continues to receive shipments and is distributing the vaccine as it is received.
Who’s receiving vaccine now?
- The commonwealth is currently in Phase 1a of the vaccination plan. In this phase, vaccines are being administered to health care workers, who are at the highest risk for COVID-19 exposure, and residents of long-term care facilities, who are at increased risk of infection and severe illness from COVID-19.
- The county is working closely with health care offices to ensure they are signed up to receive the vaccine. Loudoun’s Combined Fire and Rescue System’s EMS personnel, Health Department front-line workers and other front-line health care staff are also among those receiving the vaccine this week.
When will others be able to get the vaccine?
- Additional doses are expected in early 2021 and will be provided beyond the 1a priority group to additional Loudoun County residents and those who work in the county, but the exact timeline is not yet known.
- Moving from one phase to another will depend on vaccine supply and how many people are getting vaccinated, so it is hard to estimate when one phase will end and another will begin.
- As soon as the supply increases, vaccination recommendations will expand to include more groups:
- The next priority group, Phase 1b, includes front-line essential workers and people 75 and older.
- Phase 1c, which is the next priority group, includes people aged 16-74 with high-risk medical conditions, people aged 65-74, and other essential workers.
- VDH is currently reviewing the recommendations for Phases 1b and 1c and will provide further guidance soon. At this time, Loudoun County is not yet authorized to vaccinate individuals outside of the 1a priority group.
How will I know when it’s time for me or my family to receive vaccine?
- People eligible for COVID-19 vaccine in phase 1a will be contacted by their employer or the facility where they live to let them know when vaccine is available to them.
- As other priority groups are added, you will be able to find information about vaccine availability through various channels, including the county’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, the county’s website, and through the news media.
- You are encouraged to sign up for direct text or email updates from the county to stay informed as the vaccine becomes available. Learn more about how to sign up here: loudoun.gov/covid19vaccine.
Receive Updates from Loudoun County
Contact Us with Questions