News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: December 5, 2017

Put a Freeze On Winter Fires - Home Heating Safety

According to the United States Fire Administration, heating equipment is involved in one out of six reported home fires and is a leading cause of home fire deaths. Nearly half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January and February. These fires are preventable! Loudoun County Fire and Rescue encourages residents to follow these tips and “Put a Freeze On Winter Fires.”

  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.
  • Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.
  • Before going to sleep, ensure the fire in your fireplace is completely extinguished.  NEVER close the fireplace damper with hot ashes in the fireplace.
  • Let ashes cool completely before putting them in a closed metal container. Soak ashes thoroughly with water and place the container outside, a safe distance away from your home or other structures.
  • If you use an electric heater, plug the appliance directly into the wall outlet, ensuring not to overload the circuit. 
  • Turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Keep children and combustibles at least three feet away from all heating equipment, stoves and fireplaces. 
  • Install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. CO is an invisible, odorless gas. Heating and cooking appliances, vehicles and generators are potential sources of this “silent killer.”
  • Another important tip - “Close before you Doze!” A closed door can dramatically slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.

Most importantly, ensure the smoke alarms in your home are correctly installed and functioning properly.  To schedule a free home safety assessment or obtain information regarding our "Put A Finger On It!" free smoke alarm program, visit  or call 703-737-8093.

fireplace ashes cause fire

fireplaces ashes cause fire 2

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

incident alert nf

Sterling House Fire Caused by Candles

Posted on: November 13, 2023
Round Vol Logos and Patch (365 x 231 px)

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2023
Congratulations NF

LCFR Promotes Two Deputy Chiefs

Posted on: March 15, 2023
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017