News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Oakgrove Road Fire Displaces Sterling Family

oakgrove sterling heat lamp 12-10-17.jpg
For Additional Information:
Laura Rinehart, Public Information Officer or 571-233-1649
December 11, 2017

For Immediate Release:
Oakgrove Road Fire Displaces Sterling Family

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office investigation into Sunday evening’s Sterling house fire found the fire to be accidental, caused by a heat lamp that was placed too close to combustible materials. 
At 6:20 p.m. Sunday, December 10th, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received multiple 9-1-1 calls reporting on a house on fire in the 22000 block of Oakgrove Road in Sterling. Fire and rescue units from Moorefield, Fairfax County, Sterling, Kincora, Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority – Dulles, and numerous command officers responded to the incident. Firefighters arrived to find a two-story, single family dwelling with significant fire showing from the attic of the house.  Due to the volume of fire upon arrival of the first engine company a second alarm and a Rapid Intervention Team were requested bringing additional units from Sterling, Fairfax County and Ashburn. Firefighters confirmed that the residents were not home at the time of the fire. 
Due to the advanced state of the fire, units made a defensive attack from the exterior of the home to knock down the bulk of the fire. Multiple hoselines were deployed around the residence and a master stream from a ladder truck was utilized to extinguish the fire. 
There were no injuries to any occupants or first responders. The Red Cross responded to assist the seventeen family members, ten adults and seven children, displaced by the fire. One neighboring home received minor damage to the siding but the occupants were able to remain in the home. 
The Fire Marshal’s Office investigation determined the fire originated under the rear deck as a result of a heat lamp placed too close combustible materials. Damages are estimated at $714,000.

Photo courtesy: Collin Gould, Sterling Volunteer Fire Company
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

incident alert nf

Sterling House Fire Caused by Candles

Posted on: November 13, 2023
Round Vol Logos and Patch (365 x 231 px)

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2023
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017