For Additional Information:
Laura Rinehart, Public Information Officer
Laura.Rinehart@loudoun.gov or 571-233-1649
January 21, 2018
For Immediate Release:
Early Morning Fire at Monroe Technology Center
Leesburg, VA. - Just after midnight Sunday, January 21st, the Loudoun County Emergency Communication Center (ECC) began receiving multiple 9-1-1 calls reporting a fire at the Charles S. Monroe Technology Center at 715 Children’s Center Road in Leesburg. Fire and rescue crews from Leesburg, Hamilton, Purcellville, Lansdowne and Round Hill were dispatched to the incident along with several command officers.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find active fire coming from a storage area in the rear of the school building which houses Acetylene gas cylinders. Units on the scene reported that several of the cylinders had exploded and the fire was burning up the outside of the structure towards the roof. Firefighters made an aggressive fire attack while additional crews secured the remaining gas cylinders and checked the roof for fire extension.
A second alarm was requested bringing additional fire and rescue units from Lucketts, Ashburn, Moorefield, Brambleton, and Fairfax County. The Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Hazardous Materials Team responded from Dulles South to assist firefighters.
The fire in the outside cylinder storage area was quickly extinguished and firefighters confirmed that there was no extension into the school. Units remained on the scene for several hours securing several leaking gas cylinders and confirming that there was no extension into the roofing material.
The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the cause to be accidental in nature. Representatives from Loudoun County Public Schools are estimating damages at $50,000 and report that the school will be open for classes on Monday. There were no reported injuries to civilian or fire department personnel.