News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: February 15, 2018

Electrical Fire in Lovettsville Displaces Three Adults

Downey Mill Rd 2-14-18 2.JPG
For Additional Information:
Laura Rinehart, Public Information Officer or 571-233-1649
February 15, 2018

For Immediate Release:
Electrical Fire in Lovettsville Displaces Three Adults

Lovettsville, VA. – The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined Wednesday’s early morning fire in Lovettsville was accidental in nature, caused by an electrical failure involving an extension cord in the garage.  
Just after 4:45 a.m. Wednesday, February 14th, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center began receiving 9-1-1 calls reporting a fire at a home in the 12700 block of Downey Mill Road. Fire and Rescue units from Lovettsville, Purcellville, Lucketts, Hamilton, Frederick Co. (MD), and several Command Officers responded.  
Firefighters arrived on scene and reported heavy fire and smoke conditions coming from a one-story, single family residence. All occupants had safely self-evacuated prior to the arrival of first responders and were located outside the home. Additional Fire and Rescue units were immediately requested to support both the safety of firefighters and rural water supply operations. Firefighters moved quickly to put out the fire on the exterior of the home before proceeding inside to extinguish the remaining fire.  
There were no civilian or first responder injuries. The damages to the home are estimated at $480,000. The occupants of the home report that they were awakened by a family pet which alerted them to the presence of the fire. The home was equipped with functioning smoke alarms that sounded as the family was evacuating. The local chapter of the American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the three displaced adult occupants of the home.
The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office reminds residents that major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used as permanent wiring for any appliances. For more information on electrical safety visit or call 703-737-8600.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

incident alert nf

Sterling House Fire Caused by Candles

Posted on: November 13, 2023
Round Vol Logos and Patch (365 x 231 px)

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2023
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017