The Loudoun County Health Department encourages residents to stay informed about the novel coronavirus situation.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Virginia Department of Health are closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (termed “2019-nCoV”) first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China.
While five individuals in the Commonwealth have been tested for the illness to date; as of today, there have been no known cases of 2019-nCoV in Virginia. On January 30, 2020, the CDC confirmed that 2019-nCoV has spread between two people in Illinois, representing the first instance of person-to-person spread with this new virus in the United States.
As a measure of preventing the spread of the virus in the U.S., the CDC has expanded entry screenings to 20 existing U.S. airport quarantine stations, one of which is located at Dulles International Airport. Passenger screenings will include a review of travel history and a check for 2019-nCoV symptoms.
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. There is currently no vaccine to prevent 2019-nCoV infection. The CDC recommends against all non-essential travel to China. The CDC also recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
To learn more about coronavirus and for links to information about the current situation, visit loudoun.gov/coronavirus.
Loudoun County residents, visitors or workers with questions about coronavirus may also contact the Loudoun County Health Department by email or by phone at 703-771-5829.
# # #