News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: March 8, 2020

Purcellville Single Family Home Fire Displaces a Family of Two

3-6-20 G Street Purcellville - Fireplace Ashes - Smoke Alarm Save NF

Purcellville, VA. - Loudoun County Fire Officials determine cause and offer safety tips after Friday night’s house fire displaces a family of two.  

At approximately 10:00 p.m. on Friday, March 6, 2020, Loudoun County’s Emergency Communications Center received a 9-1-1 call from a resident stating that their home was on fire in the 200 block of East G Street in Purcellville. Fire and rescue units from Purcellville, Round Hill, Hamilton, Philomont, Leesburg, Ashburn and Loudoun Heights were dispatched to the incident along with accompanying Command Officers. Firefighters arrived on the scene to find active fire in the rear of the home with possible fire extension to the inside. The homeowners were located safely outside.

Firefighters aggressively attacked the fire in the rear as additional crews checked for any extension to the interior of the home. Crews discovered fire had begun to spread into the walls and floor joist areas and worked quickly to extinguish the remainder of fire.

One resident was evaluated by paramedics on the scene and one firefighter was transported to a local area hospital for evaluation. Two residents were displaced from their home and are being assisted by the American Red Cross. The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause of the fire was accidental due to hot ashes from the fireplace igniting nearby combustibles in and around the fireplace. The damages are estimated at $200,000. 

It is important to note that the occupants were alerted to the fire by multiple smoke alarms which activated in the home. The smoke alarms allowed the family precious moments to remove themselves from danger and call for help, avoiding potential injury and more extensive damages.

Each year Loudoun firefighters respond to devastating fires caused by improper disposal of hot coals or ashes from fireplaces, wood stoves, pellet stoves, grills, fire pits and even cigarette butts. Residents must use caution when disposing of fireplace ashes or any hot materials in or around your home. It is critical to soak ashes thoroughly with water, in a metal container with a lid, and allow them to cool for 48 hours. The metal container should be kept outside, a safe distance away from your home or any other structure  By taking these additional measures, you can help ensure these items are appropriately extinguished and do not pose a fire hazard to you or your neighbors.

For additional fire prevention and safety information, visit or call 703-737-8600.  


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

Image of fire with a circle and red line to symbolize no open burning

Temporary Burning Restriction

Posted on: January 19, 2021
LC-CFRS DECEMBER 11, 2020 Blood Drive NF

LC-CFRS Blood Drive December 11, 2020

Posted on: November 30, 2020
thanksgiving Cooking Safety - Newsflash

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 23, 2020

Ashburn House Fire Displaces Four

Posted on: February 10, 2020
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017