The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined last night’s barn fire in the Village of Waterford was accidental, presumably a result of sparks from a grinder igniting nearby combustibles inside the barn.
Just after 8:45 p.m., Tuesday, April 14, 2020, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received multiple 9-1-1 calls reporting a barn on fire in the 15,000 block of Clover Hill Road. Fire and rescue units from Hamilton, Lovettsville, Lucketts, Purcellville and several command officers responded. When firefighters arrived they found a large barn with attached silo heavily involved in fire.
Due to the rural location and lack of traditional fire hydrants, a Tanker Task Force was requested bringing additional water tankers from Round Hill, Loudoun Heights, and Frederick County, Maryland.
Firefighters quickly confirmed that everyone was safe and there were no people or animals inside the barn. The advanced state of the fire and threat of structural collapse required crews to initiate an exterior attack. Fire crews also positioned hoselines to protect neighboring structures from fire spread and extreme heat. Firefighters worked into the night to extinguish the massive fire and remain on scene ensuring the remnants of the barn are fully extinguished.
There were no injuries to any civilians however two firefighters were transported to the hospital for evaluation of minor injuries. Investigators from the Loudoun County Fire Marshals have estimated the damages at $300,000.