The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office provides important safety tips after unattended cooking causes Round Hill house fire.
Just after 8:15 p.m. on Thursday, May 14, 2020, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received a 9-1-1 call reporting a single family home on fire in the 19,000 block of Airmont Road. Fire and rescue units from Round Hill, Purcellville, Hamilton, Middleburg, Philomont, and several command officers responded.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find smoke and fire coming from a single family, ranch style home and all occupants located safely outside. Crews initiated an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the fire in the kitchen that was spreading rapidly into the attic space. Firefighters remained on scene for an extended period of time, ensuring all hot spots were extinguished and ventilating the structure.
There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters however, two adults, a canine and a feline were displaced. Fire Marshal’s determined the fire to be accidental, resulting from unattended cooking, and estimated the damages at $180,000.
This incident serves as a powerful reminder that practicing fire safety in the kitchen is critical. Follow these safety tips to reduce the risk of a cooking related fire in your home:
# # #