Two structure fires in the Waterford and Lovettsville area Wednesday night did a combined $980,000 in damages and displaced several residents.
Just before 4:20 p.m. on Wednesday, January 13, 2021, fire and rescue units from Loudoun County and Frederick County, MD were dispatched to a house fire in the 15,000 block of Berlin Turnpike in Lovettsville. The 911 caller, an occupant, stated that there was smoke inside the home coming from an attic vent.
Firefighters arrived on scene to find a two-story single-family home with light smoke showing from the exterior and the occupants located safely outside. Upon entering the home, a fire was quickly located in the attic above the kitchen. Fire crews made access to the ceiling to extinguish the fire and ensure there was no fire extension to the rest of the home. The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office classified the fire as accidental, due to an overloaded circuit. One adult and one canine were displaced and are staying with family. Damages are estimated at $80,000.
At 5:38 p.m. on Wednesday, as crews were wrapping up operations on the fire in Lovettsville, fire and rescue units from Loudoun County which included Lucketts, Hamilton, Leesburg, Lovettsville, Purcellville, Round Hill, and mutual-aid assets from Frederick County, MD were dispatched to a house fire in the 15,000 block of Clover Hill Road in Waterford. The initial 911 caller reported that there was “fire from the roof” of a neighboring home on his street. The caller remained on the line, rushing to the residence to alert the occupants to the fire and to advise them to evacuate.
Firefighters arrived on the scene of a large, two-story single-family dwelling with heavy fire through the roof. Crews were met outside by the occupants that had safely evacuated. Firefighters made entry with hoselines and began attacking the fire on the second floor as additional crews opened up ceilings to access the fire in the attic. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control, limiting extension into other areas of the roughly 6,000 sq/ft home.
The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office investigation classified the fire as accidental, due to an electrical malfunction in the attic. Two adults and three canines are displaced and staying with family in the area. Damages are estimated at $900,000.