News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: January 25, 2021

Fire Marshal Determines Cause of Saturday’s Structure Fire in Downtown Leesburg

Market St Kitchen Fire 1-23-21 Newsflash 2

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal's Office has determined the cause of Saturday’s fire on Market Street to be accidental, caused by unattended cooking in the kitchen. 

At approximately 11:20 a.m., Saturday, January 23, 2021, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received a 911 call for a reported kitchen fire at a commercial occupancy located on West Market Street in Leesburg. Firefighters arrived on scene with visible smoke and fire coming from the rear of the structure. Crews quickly entered the building with hoselines to extinguish the fire as other crews searched the building for occupants and further fire spread. The fire was deemed under control within approximately 30 minutes of arrival of first responders. 

The estimated damages to the structure and contents are $1.2 million. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries resulting from this incident.  

Fire Chief Keith H. Johnson reminds residents and restaurant owners alike, “to always remain in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you must leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove. Remember, watch what you heat!” 

For additional fire and life safety information, please or call our Public Education Manager at 703-737-8600. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

October 2021 Fire Prevention Month Events

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2021
LC-CFRS Now on Instagram

LC-CFRS Joins Instagram

Posted on: September 7, 2021
WATER SAFETY newsflash

Pool and Water Safety

Posted on: May 25, 2021
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017