The Loudoun County Fire Marshal's Office has determined the cause of Saturday’s fire on Market Street to be accidental, caused by unattended cooking in the kitchen.
At approximately 11:20 a.m., Saturday, January 23, 2021, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received a 911 call for a reported kitchen fire at a commercial occupancy located on West Market Street in Leesburg. Firefighters arrived on scene with visible smoke and fire coming from the rear of the structure. Crews quickly entered the building with hoselines to extinguish the fire as other crews searched the building for occupants and further fire spread. The fire was deemed under control within approximately 30 minutes of arrival of first responders.
The estimated damages to the structure and contents are $1.2 million. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries resulting from this incident.
Fire Chief Keith H. Johnson reminds residents and restaurant owners alike, “to always remain in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you must leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove. Remember, watch what you heat!”
For additional fire and life safety information, please loudoun.gov/fireprevention or call our Public Education Manager at 703-737-8600.