The Virginia Cooperative Extension Family Nutrition Program, "Eat Smart, Move More," empowers you to take charge of your health by eating healthy and living an active lifestyle. Our nutrition educators work with Virginians to teach essential life skills like cooking, managing a food budget, using SNAP/EBT, being physically active, handling food safely, and planning meals.
Keeping Local Food Affordable: Use Your SNAP Benefits at the Farmer's Market
How to use your SNAP card at the Farmer's Market:
1) Find the market manager’s information table. Look for signs that say “Use your EBT card here."
2) The manager will swipe your EBT card for the amount you request. You will receive $1 wooden tokens. These tokens act like cash in the market.
3) Use your tokens to buy fruit, vegetables, meat, eggs, herbs, baked goods, seeds, and more!
4) Tokens don’t expire, so hold on to them for your next visit if you have any left over.
- At some markets, each farmer will have an EBT machine, so there are no tokens and you pay each farmer with your EBT card.
- Many markets have funds to double your SNAP dollars. For example, when you spend$10 with your EBT card, they will give you another $10 free to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables! See the map on the back for more information.
Learn more: Farmers Market Shopping Trips (PDF)
The Virginia Cooperative Extension Family Nutrition Program is in partnership with Loudoun Hunger Relief.
# # #