News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: November 26, 2021

Lucketts Single Family Home Fire Injures One Firefighter and One Civilian

Wilt Store Fire Scene

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office (FMO) attributed the cause of a Thanksgiving Day house fire that displaced a family to a malfunction within a golf cart stored on the exterior of the home beneath a covered deck. 

At 11:52 a.m., on Thursday, November 25, 2021, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received a for a house was in the 13400 block of Wilt Store Road. Limited information was provided by the initial call, however Loudoun County Fire and Rescue units from Lucketts, Lovettsville, Purcellville, Leesburg, Hamilton, Frederick County, MD, and numerous command staff were dispatched to the fire. The first arriving units reported the structure fully involved in fire with fire extending to the surrounding woods. The initial officer immediately requested additional units including a Rapid Intervention Task Force and a Tanker Task Force due to the rural areas lack of an established water supply. Units utilized water from fire and rescue tankers and a pond on the property as the water supply. 

Shortly after arrival, firefighters confirmed no one was inside the structure and immediately began an exterior attack on the fire. The fire was brought under control in approximately 90 minutes. Crews continued to monitor the fire and surrounding area to ensure complete extinguishment. One firefighter was injured during the incident and transported to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, while a civilian on the scene was injured but refused transport. 

The FMO investigation into the incident determined the fire was accidental due to a malfunction within a golf cart stored on the exterior of the home underneath a covered deck. Damages to the home and its contents are estimated at $487,000. 

You can help keep your family safe by following these safety tips: 

  • Use only electrical devices and cords listed for outdoor use, and follow the manufacturer’s specifications 
  • Inspect electrical cords for damage before use. Check for cracked or frayed sockets, exposed or bare wires, and loose connections. Never use a cord that feels hot or is damaged in any way. 
  • Test and clean smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. We recommend testing smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors monthly and changing batteries regularly. If your smoke alarms are not working properly, call our smoke alarm program hotline 703-737-8093 or visit loudoun.gov/smokealarms

For additional fire prevention and life safety information, please visit loudoun.gov/fireprevention or call our Public Education Manager Lisa Braun at 571-258-3222.

###

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

NEWS and ALERTS newsflash 2

Electrical Failure Causes Sterling Fire

Posted on: February 18, 2022
October 2021 Fire Prevention Month Events

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2021
LC-CFRS Now on Instagram

LC-CFRS Joins Instagram

Posted on: September 7, 2021
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017