The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors and Departments of Parks, Recreation and Community Services and Transportation and Capital Infrastructure will celebrate the grand opening of the Sterling Community Center Saturday, March 5, 2022, at 10:00 a.m. The public is invited to attend the opening ceremony. The center is located at 120 Enterprise Street in Sterling.
Following the ceremony, an open house featuring tours of the facility, program demonstrations and entertainment will be held until 12:30 p.m. The center will remain open until 5:00 p.m. The open house will continue Sunday, March 6, 2022, from noon to 5:00 p.m. Normal hours of operation and programming begin Monday, March 7.
The Sterling Community Center has been serving the community since 1975 with programs for all ages, as well as party packages, camps, drop-in sports and special events. Voters approved general obligation bonds to renovate the 18,200-square-foot facility on the November 2014 referendum.
A construction contract to enlarge and fully renovate the facility was awarded to Forrester Construction Company in 2019. The project provided funding to renovate the Sterling Community Center as part of the Sterling Public Facilities Master Plan initiated by the Board of Supervisors.
The renovated center occupies 20,700 square feet of space at its current location. The extensive renovation project included:
- A main entry vestibule facing Enterprise Street.
- An entry vestibule from the parking lot.
- A new patio area for public seating.
- A lawn area for program services.
- A renovated pavilion.
- An outdoor amphitheater area around the existing pavilion.
- Public lobby, enlarged gym, fitness room, computer room, kitchen, classrooms, administrative office and support spaces, and art room.
- A teen recreation and gaming room with garage door to a patio.
- Raising the split-level building to a single level.
- Expanding the gymnasium to be full-court high school size in length, width and interior clearance.
- A renovated and insulated exterior envelope.
- New roofing and clerestory windows for interior daylighting.
- New energy efficient geothermal mechanical system, new electrical and plumbing.
For information about facility hours, programs and rentals, visit loudoun.gov/prcs or call 703-430-9480. For more information about the grand opening, email the Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services.
# # #