With the posting of revised draft text in advance of a Planning Commission public hearing on August 30, 2022, the Loudoun County Zoning Ordinance Rewrite process is entering a new public participation phase.
Review the Proposed Zoning Ordinance Text
The proposed text updates are available for public review and comment in advance of the August 30 meeting. The portions of the draft Zoning Ordinance the Planning Commission will consider on August 30 include:
- Definitions and Rules of Interpretation
- Development Standards
- Land Development Fees
- Nonconformities and Adaptive Reuse
- Officials, Boards, and Commissions
The current proposed text incorporates preliminary public input and feedback provided to the county through public engagement activities that included a series of focus group and open house meetings, as well as a 90-day public comment period conducted earlier this year. The public engagement process also identified areas needing further discussion by the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors.
To review the current proposed text in advance of the August 30 Planning Commission public hearing, visit loudoun.gov/ZoningOrdinanceRewrite.
Provide Input on the Draft Ordinance
The Planning Commission public hearing is scheduled for August 30, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. in the Board Room of the Government Center, 1 Harrison St. SE, Leesburg.
- Sign Up to Speak: To provide input and comment on the current draft text, members of the public can sign up to speak at the public hearing. Information about how to sign up to speak at the Planning Commission’s public hearing is posted on the county’s website here.
- Submit Comments Online/By Phone: Members of the public may provide input on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite to the Planning Commission at any time by submitting an online form. Residents without access to the internet may provide comments on the draft ordinance by phone at 703-777-0246.
Following the August 30 public hearing, the Planning Commission will continue its process for reviewing and updating the proposed Zoning Ordinance text. Additional updates, including for other chapters of the ordinance, will be proposed this fall, at which time the public will have an opportunity to comment on those proposed changes.
The Planning Commission anticipates:
- Holding several work sessions to accomplish its work.
- Considering input from the public, advisory bodies, county departments and community and professional groups as the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project progresses.
- Holding another public hearing on proposed rewritten text for the remaining chapters of the Zoning Ordinance.
Following completion of the Planning Commission’s review of the proposed Zoning Ordinance text, the recommended text will be forwarded to the Board of Supervisors for review. The Board of Supervisors is expected to vote to adopt the final ordinance text in the coming months.
The Zoning Ordinance is the primary implementation tool for the Loudoun County 2019 Comprehensive Plan. The ordinance contains an added level of specificity that is based on the community’s vision as expressed in the goals, policies and actions of the Comprehensive Plan.
To sign up for email and text alerts regarding the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project and to learn more about the process, visit loudoun.gov/ZoningOrdinanceRewrite.
The Planning Commission’s meeting agendas are posted online at least three days in advance of each meeting at loudoun.gov/PlanningCommission.
# # #