Sterling resident Jason Urchasko, 47, who remained in critical condition at Inova Lansdowne Hospital after Monday morning’s house fire, succumbed to his injuries on Wednesday, February 8, 2023. Mr. Urchasko’s family has been notified and is working with the appropriate agencies to have his organs donated. The victim’s family is comforted knowing that Jason’s act of organ donation can give the gift of life to another family in need.
Just before 4:00 a.m. on February 6, 2023, Loudoun County fire and rescue units responded to a house fire on Thrush Road in Sterling after a passerby saw smoke and called 911. Firefighters arrived to find fire in the rear of the home, quickly made entry, and rescued one unconscious adult and several unresponsive pets. Mr. Urchasko was transported to Inova Lansdowne hospital in critical condition and two dogs, and a cat were declared deceased on the scene.
The Fire Marshal’s estimated the dollar loss at $351,000 for both the structure and contents. The home was also found to be without working smoke alarms.
“Two important safety messages should be taken away from this tragedy, said Fire Chief Keith Johnson. “Have working smoke alarms and use caution with these lithium batteries that are being used in more and more household products. I am sending our Loudoun firefighters and community outreach specialists out to the Thrush Road neighborhood Thursday afternoon to spread critical fire safety information and offer smoke alarm assessments. Please take advantage of this free community service to keep you and your family safe.”
For more information about our free smoke alarm program services, visit www.loudoun.gov/smokealarms
Specific tips on lithium battery safety can be found here https://bit.ly/3YEUYdW