I am planning a special event. Do I need a building and / or zoning permit?

A zoning permit is required for most events unless they are listed as exempt activities. A building permit may also be required depending on the type of activities and structures planned for the event, such as inflatables, tents, and similar structures. See question number two for more about tents.

Requirements for submitting a zoning permit request, a permit application and relevant Zoning Ordinance language are online:

Please contact the Department of Building and Development at 703-777-0220 with any questions.

Show All Answers

1. I am planning a special event. Do I need a building and / or zoning permit?
2. I'm planning to use a tent. Do I need a permit?
3. We are planning to serve food at the event. What health requirements do we have to meet?
4. Are event organizers required to obtain Temporary Food Permits?
5. We are planning to serve alcohol at the event. What type of license do we need?
6. We want to display fireworks. Are certain fireworks illegal to possess?
7. We will need to close some streets. How do we do that?
8. We will have items for sale. Do we need a license?
9. Do we have to provide water if it's an outdoor event? What about toilet facilities?
10. How do we set up garbage collection and recycling service for the event?
11. I'd like to hold an event on the grounds of the Loudoun County Courthouse in Leesburg. What should I do?