Evergreen Mills Road / Watson Road Short Term Road Improvements
In coordination with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), construction crews will begin roadway improvements beginning this fall on Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road lasting over the next 12 months. The corridor road safety audits of Evergreen Mills Road and Watson Road identified short-term improvements to improve roadway safety. These safety improvements are proposed at locations that have higher risk for potential crashes and crash "hot spots" that were identified along both corridors included in the safety study. These improvements were presented to the public at a public information meeting and were approved by the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors.
Throughout the next year, construction crews will begin the following improvements:
- Signs and pavement markings.
- Advance warning flashing beacons.
- Traffic signal operations and timing improvements.
- Delineators (above-ground retroreflective devices along the outside roadway edge, to better delineate the edge of travel way).
- Vegetation trimming to improve sight distance.
A road safety audit was conducted in 2017 and 2018 to examine Evergreen Mills Road between Battlefield Parkway and Loudoun County Parkway and Watson Road between Evergreen Mills Road and Route 50 and made recommendations for improvements.
Current Status: March 2022
- Construction will start in fall 2021 during daytime hours. During construction, travelers can anticipate temporary and short-term traffic stoppages, lane closures and flagging operations with little advanced notice. Drivers should use extra caution and plan ahead when traveling through this area and follow all directions from the posted signs and road crews.
- Crews are beginning construction activities for signage and pavement markings which are anticipated to begin by mid-March 2022, weather permitting. This work will occur corridor wide and is expected to be complete by late spring.
- Advance warning beacons with constant 24/7 flashers have been installed, and are fully operational, at the locations listed below. Final detail work will occur in the coming weeks with minimal impacts to traffic.
- Eastbound approach to the Arcola Mills Drive/Briarfield Lane/Belmont Ridge Road/ traffic signal
- Westbound approach to the Evergreen Mills Road/English Yew Place/Heritage High School traffic signal
- Eastbound approach to the Evergreen Mills Road/Red Hill Road/Ryan Road traffic signal
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Evergreen Mills and Watson Road Safety Audit and Improvements.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Evergreen Mills Road/Watson Road Improvements Status Map (PDF)
- The maps depict approximate locations of the different improvements being constructed, and where residents may see construction activity. Opens a New Window.
- Questions on the project can be emailed to county staff or by calling 703-737-8299.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Affairs and Communications Officer or call 703-771-5086.