Signatures of Loudoun
Signatures of Loudoun Design Excellence Awards
The Signatures of Loudoun Design Excellence Awards are given to nominated developments, buildings, public spaces, or architectural details found in Loudoun County. The awards are available in 9 different categories including:
- Details: Excellence or whimsy demonstrated in the form of minutiae or finishing touches, which visually delight or offer a sense of continuity with Loudoun’s history.
- Familiar: the exceptional attention given to surrounding buildings, places and details during the project design. A highly “contextual” design solution in which the newly “adopted child” looks as if it had always been a visually harmonious member of the larger family of forms, textures and colors which can be found in the neighborhood.
- Infrastructure: including facilities, utilities, roadways, bridges, streetscape, parkways and trails.
- Interiors: an interior space, including residential, commercial, retail and public-sector structures.
- Legends: projects or places that have stood the “test of time” over 25 years or more -- icons of our collective memory that make Loudoun County unique.
- Makeovers: historic renovation and/or adaptive reuse projects that mirror Loudoun’s reputation as a place of rich contrasts and preserve a piece of its unique history.
- Public Spaces: public greens, plazas and squares that have become a favorite gathering place.
- Pace Setters: Recent, visually groundbreaking projects that mark the current state of affairs and potentially set the pace for the future. Pace Setters may well be the Legends of a quarter century from now.
- Students’ Choice: One of the winning projects will be chosen by a panel of Loudoun high school students and graduates.