The original item was published from February 18, 2022 1:09 PM to February 18, 2022 1:26 PM
Edgar Tillet Memorial Park Connection to Goose Creek Pointe
- This trail connection will be a partnership with NOVA Parks and Loudoun Water.
- Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS) staff and Linear Parks and Trails System (LPAT) subcommittee members participated in a trail walk planning session Dec. 14, 2021.
- Future trail clearing at Goose Creek Pointe Park is in being planned.
Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy
- PRCS has been working with the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy (NVCJTA) to create a public access easement through its property along the Broad Run.
- This is an important connection for the LPAT Framework Plan and Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail.
- At the request of the Academy, PRCS contracted with the Hercules Fence company to install a fence on the property as part of the easement agreement. The fence was installed January 2022.
- PRCS is working with the Potomac Heritage Trail Association to construct the trail.
Algonkian Regional Park Connection to Sugarland Run Stream Valley Park
- PRCS is working with the Cascades Community Association to create a public access easement on its property and connect the parks.
- PRCS and the County Attorney’s Office are creating the Deed of Easement.
- Once created, the deed will need to be signed by the Cascades Community Association and the County before it can be finalized.
Proposed Capital Improvement Program (CIP)
- On Feb. 8, 2022, the proposed FY2023-2028 Capital Improvement Program (CIP) was presented to the Board of Supervisors (BOS) Finance/Government and Economic and Development Committee as part of the proposed FY2023 Budget. See pages 9-53 and 9-54 here: See pages 9-53 and 9-54 of the FY2023 Budget document.
- LPAT was highlighted as one of the Board’s priorities.
- LPAT begins with the Signature Project in FY2024, and funding for land acquisition and construction of the ongoing project begins in FY2027.
- PRCS will recruit and hire two full-time positions in summer 2022 that were approved in the FY2022 Budget.
- The positions include a trail corridor and trail supervisor. Both positions will be dedicated to LPAT and provide support for implementing the project.
- A program manager position has also been requested for summer 2022 to provide guidance and oversee the implementation.