Riverside Parkway: Loudoun County Parkway to Lexington Drive
- This project funds the design and construction of a new four-lane, divided road segment of Riverside Parkway from Silvery Blue Terrace to Loudoun County Parkway at George Washington Boulevard, the removal of Lexington Drive on both sides of Route 7, a new Loudoun Water main, and the replacement of the existing temporary traffic signal at Loudoun County Parkway and George Washington Boulevard with a permanent signal.
- In conjunction with the planned Battlefield Parkway Interchange project, traffic flow will improve by enabling Route 7 to operate as a freeway west of Countryside Boulevard in Loudoun County.
- Planning for the completion of this missing segment of Riverside Parkway began in June of 2013.
- The project is estimated to be completed by the fall of 2021.
Current Status: October 2020
- The new traffic signal work is ongoing by the Developer between the access road to Selden Island and Pearl Crescent Square located at the two intersections & entrances at the new Riverside Square shopping center development and into Pearl Crescent Square. Currently, the pole foundations and equipment bases and borings are complete. The contractor is currently working on and finishing the final underground work outside of the roadway and is planned to be complete by the end of October 2020.
- As a part of the new traffic signal work, five (5) traffic signal poles, mast arms, pedestrian poles and other related work will begin to be placed at each of the two aforementioned intersections into the Shopping Center/Pearl Crescent Square and is scheduled to begin in early November 2020. Flagging operations, lane closures and temporary traffic stoppages will be needed to safely install the mast arms and poles over traffic. This work may involve the use of Loudoun County Deputies to keep traffic moving safely. Electronic Message Boards will also be placed at minimum of three (3) days in advance to alert commuter of impending work. This work is planned to be complete by mid- November 2020.
- All curb ramps (8 in total) and paved path connections at each intersection have been constructed, excluding the two (2) curb ramps at Pearl Crescent Square that will need to be redesigned and reinstalled so no obstructions exist and function correctly. Currently, the sidewalk/ramp on the northwest corner of the Pearl Crescent Sq. intersection is a temporary condition to facilitate pedestrian access during the work. The remaining two curb ramps are scheduled to be completed in December 2020.
- Construction activities for the entire length of the new roadway from Pearl Crescent to Loudoun County Parkway are now underway. Work currently includes curb and gutter, aggregate stone base, paving, utilities and a traffic signal. Motorists may experience minor delays in this area on weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- A new temporary detour will be built on Smith Circle east in early October. Once opened, drivers are encourage to proceed with caution. View the Smith Circle Temporary Detour Plan (PDF) for details.
- By early October 2020, traffic will be rerouted onto a short section of newly constructed Riverside Parkway, starting at Pearl Crescent Square and ending at Smith Circle West. Message boards and orange barrels will be in place for safety and to direct traffic. View the Riverside Parkway Temporary Traffic Plan (PDF) for details.
- Lexington Drive from Silvery Blue Terrace to Blue Mount Nursery will be permanently closed and removed. Motorists are advised to use the newly constructed Garden Center Court to access Blue Mount Nursery at the intersection of the Smith Circle West and Riverside Parkway. View the Riverside Parkway Temporary Traffic Plan (PDF) for details.
- The intersection of Silvery Blue Terrace and Lexington Drive will remain closed while a new entrance to Silvery Blue Terrace is constructed to align with the new roadway. A detour, from Silvery Blue Terrace to Fiery Skipper Terrace to Pearl Crescent Square, will allow access to Lexington Drive until the reconstructed entrance at Silvery Blue Terrace is safe for vehicular traffic. View the Silvery Blue Terrace Detour Plan (PDF) for details.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates for this Riverside Parkway segment project.
- Sign up for updates about this project on Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Riverside Parkway Information Meeting Display_September 2019 (PDF)
- Quarterly Report on Capital Improvement Projects (PDF)
- Search Board of Supervisors documents for information related to this project.
- If you have questions about this project, email county staff or call 703-737-8624.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.