Loudoun County election officials remind residents that if they are not registered to vote or need to update their registration, they have until Monday, October 17, 2022, to do so in order to vote a non-provisional ballot in the November 8 general election.
The voter registration deadlines are:
- Online Voter Registration: Monday, October 17, at 11:59 p.m.
- In-Person Voter Registration: Monday, October 17, at 5:00 p.m. at the Loudoun County Office of Elections and Voter Registration, 750 Miller Drive, S.E., Suite C in Leesburg.
- By-Mail Voter Registration: The application must be postmarked no later than October 17.
Same-Day Registration/Provisional Ballots
New this year in Virginia is what is referred to as Same Day Voter Registration, which allows voters to register and vote a provisional ballot after October 17, up to and including Election Day. Provisional ballots are used by voters who do not appear on the list of registered voters at their polling location. Provisional ballots are not processed by a vote counting machine at the time of voting; they are subject to approval by the local electoral board.
“When we receive a provisional ballot, we gather information about whether the voter is qualified and eligible to vote. We then forward the information to the Electoral Board to review and approve or deny the ballot,” said Loudoun County General Registrar Judy Brown. “If the voter registration application is approved and there are no other issues, the ballot will be counted. If the provisional ballot is not counted, the person who submitted it will receive written notice from our office.”
Additional Early Voting Sites to Open October 24
Election officials also remind residents that all registered voters are eligible to vote early in person. In addition to the ongoing early voting at the Office of Elections and Voter Registration, additional early voting sites will open Monday, October 24, 2022:
- Dulles South Recreation Center, 24950 Riding Center Drive, South Riding
- Loudoun County Government Offices, 21641 Ridgetop Circle, Sterling
Weekend hours for early voting will be offered beginning Saturday, October 29, at all early voting sites and will include the Carver Center, 200 E. Willie Palmer Way, Purcellville. The deadline to vote early in person is Saturday, November 5.
More information, including hours of operation at voting sites and directions, is available at loudoun.gov/voteearly.
Voting at Home
Voters who wish to receive a ballot in the mail may apply for one online. The deadline to request a ballot is 5:00 p.m., Friday, October 28, 2022. More information about receiving a ballot by mail is online at loudoun.gov/voteathome.
- Text LCVOTES to 888777 to receive text alerts from the Loudoun County Office of Elections and Voter Registration or sign up for the Election Update category through Alert Loudoun, the county’s email and text notification system.
- Follow the Office of Elections and Voter Registration on Facebook and Twitter. Loudoun County Government also posts general information on Facebook and Twitter.
More information about the November 8, 2022, general election, including links to sample ballots, is online at loudoun.gov/novemberelection.
# # #