Courts Complex Expansion
- The Courts Complex Expansion project includes the design and construction of a new 92,000-square-foot Loudoun County District Courthouse and renovation of existing courts facilities, including new parking facilities.
- The new courthouse will be located on the current Church Street Parking Lot at the corner of Church Street and Edwards Ferry Road in downtown Leesburg.
- The existing courthouse (18 East Market Street) and historic Valley Bank building (20 East Market Street) will be renovated.
- Parking lots and pedestrian access to the courts buildings will be improved. A new parking garage has been constructed next to the existing Pennington Lot.
Current Status: April 2020
- Loudoun County has contracted with McDonough Bolyard Peck, Inc. (MBP) to perform preconstruction surveys for property owners within 450 feet of the primary construction site in Leesburg. Two letters have been mailed to eligible property owners. If MBP does not receive a response from an eligible property owner prior to the start of construction, a preconstruction survey of their property will not take place.
- The last day that parking will be available in the Church Street Lot and Semones Lot is Friday, April 3, 2020. Those lots will close to be used for the staging of equipment and the construction of the new building.
- From March 30 through April 3, drivers should expect intermittent single lane closures on East Market Street between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:30 pm for upgrading an existing crosswalk.
- Beginning on Monday, April 6, 2020, all parking for the courthouse will be directed to the Pennington Garage and Pennington Lot, which are located approximately two blocks away off of Church Street NE in Leesburg. Shuttle service from the Pennington Garage and Pennington Lot to the courthouse will run approximately every ten minutes, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. A walking path between the parking areas and the courthouse will be maintained throughout the duration of construction. View parking details and a map of the shuttle route and walking path in this flyer (PDF).
- Construction is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 6, 2020 and is expected to take approximately 2.5 years.
- Weekend construction work will happen periodically during this construction project.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Courts Complex Expansion.
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- November 14, 2019: Construction Schedule and Impacts Presentation (PDF)
- November 14, 2019: Summary of Timeline and Impacts (PDF)
- July 16, 2019: Loudoun County Courthouse Expansion Phase III Public Information Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- April 23, 2019: Project Status Update (PDF)
- February 16, 2017: Pennington Parking Structure Presentation (PDF)
- February 16, 2017: Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FY 2014 Adopted CIP: Courts Complex Phase III Description (PDF)
- For questions about the Courthouse project, contact Nicholas Brown, DTCI Construction Manager by email or 571-285-3435 or Kay Jackson, McDonough Bolyard Peck, Inc. Senior Project Manager by email or 703-772-6576.
- For questions about the Pennington Parking Garage, Email Scott Worrest or call 571-258-3876.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.