Courts Complex Expansion
- The Courts Complex Expansion project includes the design and construction of a new 92,000-square-foot Loudoun County District Courthouse and renovation of existing courts facilities, including new parking facilities.
- The new courthouse will be located on the current Church Street Parking Lot at the corner of Church Street and Edwards Ferry Road in downtown Leesburg.
- The existing courthouse (18 East Market Street) and historic Valley Bank building (20 East Market Street) will be renovated.
- Parking lots and pedestrian access to the courts buildings will be improved. A new parking garage has been constructed next to the existing Pennington Lot.
- Construction began April 2020 and is expected to take approximately 2.5 years.s a New Window.
Current Status: January 2021
- Crews recently completed the installation of new storm water structures at the intersection of Church Street and Cornwall Street. New water lines and storm piping were also installed on North Street. Work on Church Street, from Market Street to Cornwall Street is underway in preparation for a new tunnel and utilities.
- On the inside of the building, crews have begun to prepare mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems for inspections. Crews have also begun courtroom framing. Work to install internal stairwells and second floor framing and masonry is nearing completion.
- On the outside of the building, work to install brick veneer on the south and west elevations and to prepare the roof for the installation of an air barrier system is ongoing. Over the next several weeks, crews will complete brick veneer on the south elevation and air barrier sheathing on the north and east facades of the building.
- Visitors to the Loudoun County Courthouse may park for free at the Pennington Garage and Pennington Lot, which are located approximately two blocks away off of Church Street NE in Leesburg. Shuttle service from the Pennington Garage and Pennington Lot to the courthouse will run approximately every ten minutes, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. A walking path between the parking areas and the courthouse will be maintained throughout the duration of construction. View parking details and a map of the shuttle route and walking path in this flyer (PDF).
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Courts Complex Expansion.
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- November 14, 2019: Construction Schedule and Impacts Presentation (PDF)
- November 14, 2019: Summary of Timeline and Impacts (PDF)
- July 16, 2019: Loudoun County Courthouse Expansion Phase III Public Information Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- April 23, 2019: Project Status Update (PDF)
- February 16, 2017: Pennington Parking Structure Presentation (PDF)
- February 16, 2017: Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FY 2014 Adopted CIP: Courts Complex Phase III Description (PDF)
- For questions about the Courthouse project, contact John Arriaga, DTCI Construction Manager by email or 571-258-3489, or Jeffrey Dean, McDonough Bolyard Peck, Inc. Project Manager by email or 202-826-5429.
- For questions about the Pennington Parking Garage, contact Nick Brown, DTCI Construction Program Manager by email or call 571-258-3435.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.