Metrorail Silver Line in Loudoun County
Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority (WMATA) will soon provide Silver Line Metrorail Service to and from the Dulles Airport, Loudoun Gateway and Ashburn Metro Stations in Loudoun County. The exact opening date hasn’t been decided yet; however, Metro anticipates that the new Silver Line stations will open during fall 2022.
Silver Line Extension Updates
Loudoun County is building a reliable and efficient multimodal transportation network that includes the Silver Line, constructed by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA), a 23-mile Metrorail extension of the regional Metrorail system into Loudoun County.
On June 23, 2022, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), which operates Metro, took control of the Silver Line extension. This milestone, known as the "Operational Readiness Date" (ORD), marks the point where provisional care and control of the extension is formally transferred from MWAA to WMATA. The opening date for passenger service will be announced at a later date. Phase 2 of the Silver Line is expected to open to the public approximately 90 to 150 days after ORD is announced. Read the news release for details.
News and Announcements
- News Release: 09-23-22: Your new Silver Line stations coming soon with a new Metrorail map
- News Release: 08-26-22: Metrorail ridership survey underway now through November
- News Release: 08-15-22: Metro to hold emergency exercise in preparation for opening of Silver Line Extension
- News Release: 06-23-22: Silver Line Metrorail Coming Soon to Loudoun County; Control Transferred to Metro
- News Release: 06-23-22: Silver Line Extension transferred to Metro's Control
- Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project Newsletter: Metrorail On Track, April 2022
- News Release: 11-05-21: Loudoun County Silver Line Metrorail Phase 2 Reaches Milestone
- For more information or answers to questions about the Metro Silver Line in Loudoun County, please call 703-771-5665 or email us.