VICAP Medicare Counseling Program
About the Program
The VICAP (Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program) Medicare Counseling Program is a part of a national network of programs that offer free, unbiased, confidential counseling and assistance for Medicare beneficiaries.
Counseling topics include:
- Medicare enrollment and coverage
- Medicare Part D prescription insurance
- Medigap insurance (supplemental insurance)
- Medicare Advantage Plans
- Medicare Financial Assistance Programs
VICAP counselors are not licensed to sell insurance. VICAP counselors can help all Medicare beneficiaries, including those with disabilities and younger than 65, explore options that best fit their needs. Working collaboratively with the Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP), VICAP counselors will help educate and empower beneficiaries to take an active role in detecting and preventing health care fraud and abuse.
VICAP counselors can help all Medicare beneficiaries compare and understand their prescription insurance options when first enrolling in Medicare, when moving or retiring from work, and during the Annual Enrollment Period every year between October 15 and December 7. For assistance please submit a completed Part D worksheet.
Obtaining Medicare Part D
Options for obtaining a Medicare Part D Worksheet:
- General information flyer (PDF)
- COVID-19 changes (PDF)
- View and print the Medicare Part D Worksheet (PDF)
- Pick up a worksheet at any Loudoun County Senior Center.
- Call the Loudoun County Area Agency on Aging Medicare Part D help line at 703-737-8036.
Virginia Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP
This organization's mission is to empower and assist Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers to prevent, detect, and report health care fraud, errors, and abuse through outreach, counseling, and education. The Virginia SMP works with local AAA’s and volunteers to provide information, conduct educational presentations and attend events to share information with the public.
- Fraud Hotline: 1-800-938-8885
- SMP Website
- Social Security Medicare BenefitsExtra Help Online Application
- Federal Retiree Health Insurance
- Medicare: Inpatient or Outpatient Status Affects Your Costs
- Medicare Coverage of Preventive Care Services
- Prescription Drug Assistance Options: Needymeds
- Social Security Medicare Benefits
- Virginia Medicaid
- Tricare Military Health Insurance