Planning & Development
We support the department through facility planning and design, proffer management, recreational trail development, and project management activities by:
- Providing site-specific analysis and design for the improvement of PRCS facilities, including short and long-range planning, proffer management, trail development and construction, and project management.
- Enhancing and maintaining parks, trails, and facilities with the Capital Asset Preservation Program (CAPP).
- Deliver technical assistance and oversight for the Department by reviewing land development applications for recreational opportunities and other departmental facilities identified in the Capital Needs Assessment (CNA).
- Manage various projects related to parks, trails, and facilities, including donated enhancements and amenities.
Projects in Design are in the feasibility or planning stage.
Projects in Construction are in the implementation or completion stage.
PRCS works closely with the Loudoun County Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure (DTCI) on various Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Facilities Projects. Additional project information is available on the DTCI Projects, Studies & Plans page.
Our design standards and construction specifications can be found in the Construction Design Standards Manual (PDF) - Revised 2014
Loudoun County has a total of 49 manned and unmanned parks open to the public. The permanent presence of on-site staff during business hours indicates whether a park is manned or unmanned. Park facilities are disbursed throughout the County and are classified (largest to smallest) as Regional, District, Community, and Neighborhood-based on acreage.
- Hal and Berni Hanson Regional Park
- Potomac Lakes Sportsplex Turf Fields
- Phillip A. Bolen Phase II Restroom/Concession
Loudoun County is developing an interconnected, countywide linear parks and trails system based on the July 2021 approved plan (PDF). The comprehensive system will provide a variety of functions and benefits, including recreation, alternative transportation, wildlife habitat, water quality protection, flood hazard reduction, aquifer recharge, erosion prevention, property value enhancement, economic development and scenic beauty.
Natural surface trails represent an opportunity for a diverse mix of trail users to experience Loudoun County. We have trails for everyone; equestrians, hikers, and bikes, etc. Natural surface trails vary in width (2’-4’) and provide users a unique way to experience the history, resources, and landscapes throughout the County. Additionally, paved trails within park facilities provide access to and from various features in our parks. Both trail types can be standalone projects or elements of larger PRCS projects.
- Byrne’s Ridge Trail Access
- Evergreen Mills Equestrian, Hiking, and Biking Trail
- Round Hill to Franklin Park Trail
Parks, Recreation and Community Services (PRCS) provides access to various facilities to the residents of Loudoun County. PRCS works closely with the Loudoun County Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure (DTCI) on various Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Facilities Projects. Additional project information is available on the DTCI Projects, Studies and Plans page.