Fireworks are often used to celebrate special events and holidays. However, that does not mean they are safe to use. Every year fireworks cause thousands of burns and eye injuries. The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office (FMO) wants you to begin planning for a safe holiday by choosing to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
Public Fireworks Displays
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals. The list below includes information about public displays in the area. Information about private displays is included for situational awareness.
- 10/1/2022 - Segra Field, 42095 Loudoun United Drive, Leesburg
Doing Your Own Fireworks
If you choose to purchase your own fireworks, the FMO provides important information about fireworks, including annual lists of approved fireworks stands (PDF) and approved fireworks (PDF). If you choose to use fireworks, proceed with caution and follow these safety tips!
- Consumer fireworks, namely sparklers and ground based fountains, are legal to possess and use on private property. You should only purchase legal consumer fireworks from a local business or roadside stand possessing a fireworks retail permit from the Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office. These fireworks have been tested to ensure they meet the Consumer Products Safety Commission’s requirements.
- Consumer fireworks that rise into the air, explode, travel laterally on the ground or emit projectiles are illegal to possess or use anywhere in Virginia. Possession and/or use of these materials is a Class 1 Misdemeanor.
- For backyard displays using legal consumer fireworks, wet down the area before use to prevent accidental fires. Ground based fireworks should be placed on open, stable, flat surfaces, keeping onlookers 20 feet. from the display.
- Adult supervision is critical! Only competent adults should ignite and supervise the use of fireworks. Adults should supervise the use of sparklers as they burn at a temperature of more than 1,200 degrees, hot enough to cause severe burns and ignite clothing. Keep children from running while using sparklers.
- Used fireworks should be placed in a metal container, soaked with water, and allowed to cool overnight in a location that is at least 15 feet. away from any building or structure. Re-check the container in the morning to ensure nothing is smoldering, then properly dispose of the wet materials.
- Never pick up fireworks that were "duds’ or did not fire, as they may still be active! Wait 20 minutes and treat as spent fireworks, soaking overnight and placing in a metal container with a lid, away from any structure.