News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

For Additional Information:
Laura Rinehart, Public Information Officer or 571-233-1649
December 9, 2017

For Immediate Release:
Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office determined that last night’s house fire in the Broad Run section of Ashburn was caused by a malfunctioning fireplace.

Just before 8:30 p.m., Friday December 8th, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received numerous calls reporting an active house fire in the 20200 block of Birdsnest Place in Ashburn. Fire and Rescue crews from Ashburn, Sterling, Cascades, Kincora, Leesburg, Moorefield and numerous Command Officers arrived to find a 2-story single family home with fire coming from the roof and side of the residence.

Due to the amount of fire and potential for collapse, firefighters began defensive operations, attacking the fire from the exterior. Additional crews deployed hose lines to protect the adjacent homes from heat and fire damage. The residents of the home, two adults and three children were located safely outside upon arrival of the first responders. The home was equipped with working smoke alarms that alerted the family.

Once the fire was under control and the stability of the structure confirmed, firefighters were able to enter the home and extinguish the remaining fire.  There were no injuries to any occupants or first responders. Local representatives from the American Red Cross responded to assist the displaced family.

The Fire Marshal’s investigation determined the fire to be accidental due to a fireplace malfunction. The structure was a total loss with damages estimated at $475,000 with an additional $10,000 in damages to each of the adjacent homes.

Per the National Fire Protection Association, Heating Equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths. Following these simple safety tips can reduce the risk of heating related fires in your home:

•       Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional.

•       Keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from heating equipment, such as the fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater. 

•       Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be completely cooled before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home or any structure. 

•       Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. 

•       Test smoke alarms monthly and replace batteries when needed.

•       Lastly, remember to close your bedroom doors when going to sleep. A closed door can significantly slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

incident alert nf

Sterling House Fire Caused by Candles

Posted on: November 13, 2023
Round Vol Logos and Patch (365 x 231 px)

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2023
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017