News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: November 13, 2023

Sterling House Fire Caused by Candles

incident alert nf

Two Sterling residents were injured after an early morning house fire that fire marshals determined was caused by unattended candles. 

Just before 2:00 a.m. on Monday, November 13, 2023, the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center started receiving 911 calls for a house fire on North Fillmore Avenue in Sterling. Loudoun County Fire and Rescue (LCFR) units from Sterling Park, Cascades, Kincora, and Fairfax County were dispatched to the incident. 

Engine 611 from Sterling arrived on the scene and reported a single-family home with active fire and smoke showing from the rear of the structure. Additional units were dispatched to assist including a Rapid Intervention Task Force, the LCFR Rehabilitation Unit and the Mobile Air Unit. 

All occupants were confirmed out of the house as firefighters quickly worked to locate and extinguish the fire. Crews extinguished the fire on the first floor and exterior of the home as additional crews checked for fire extension and searched for the homeowners’ missing pets. One cat was found deceased and two currently remain unaccounted for. The family dog is being cared for by personnel from Loudoun County Animal Services. The two occupants who were home at the time of the fire were both treated and transported for minor burn injuries. One firefighter was transported for evaluation after the fire. Three occupants were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross. 

The LCFR Fire Marshal’s Office investigated and determined the fire to be accidental, resulting from unattended candles. Damages are estimated at $498,168 ($311,355 structure and $186,813 contents).  

Fire officials remind residents to stay vigilant and only use candles in a safe manner. Candles should be placed on a sturdy, nonflammable surface, away from children, pets and anything that can burn. Candles require constant supervision by an adult, and you must ensure that candles are completely extinguished before leaving the area. A safer alternative is using flameless candles that still look and smell like real candles. 

For additional fire prevention and life safety information visit or call 703-737-8600.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

Round Vol Logos and Patch (365 x 231 px)

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2023
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017