News & Announcements

Fire and Rescue

Posted on: February 8, 2018

Working Smoke Alarms Alert Family to House Fire

Grandview Place 2-1-18 Smoking Materials.jpg

For Additional Information:

Laura Rinehart, Public Information Officer or 571-233-1649

February 8, 2018

For Immediate Release:

Working Smoke Alarms Alert Family to House Fire

In the early morning hours of February 1st the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received a 9-1-1 call for a house fire in the area of Grandview Place. Units responded from Cascades, Kincora, Sterling, and Fairfax and upon arrival there was no fire evident. After further investigation, fire personnel reported there had been a small fire that was contained to an area below the sunroom. The resident stated that the smoke alarms had alerted him to the fire allowing the occupants to exit safely. The Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause of the fire to be improperly discarded smoking materials.  

This incident serves as a powerful reminder of the importance of having working smoke alarms in the home. “Smoke alarms are the first line of defense in alerting a person to the dangers of smoke and fire,” said W. Keith Brower, Jr., Chief of Loudoun County Department of Fire and Rescue. “Therefore, it is critical that these life-saving devices are checked and tested frequently to ensure proper functioning.” 

Smoke alarms must be maintained!  All smoke alarms should be tested monthly and batteries need to be checked and replaced regularly. Check the manufacturer’s expiration date and specifications on the label to ensure the smoke alarm is not outdated. All smoke alarms should be replaced completely every ten years.  These simple steps will help ensure that you and your family will have the best chance of surviving if fire should strike.

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office also wants to remind residents the importance of properly discarding smoking materials. Dispose of smoking materials in a metal or ceramic container filled with sand. Mulch, potting soil, etc. is combustible and will burn if exposed to heat. Soaking smoking materials in water is also recommended. The disposal container must be cleaned out regularly. Place these containers away from the home, NOT on the front porch, deck, or just outside your door. Remember, “Put it out, all the way, every time!”

To learn more about fire safety visit


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire and Rescue

incident alert nf

Sterling House Fire Caused by Candles

Posted on: November 13, 2023
Round Vol Logos and Patch (365 x 231 px)

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2023
Holiday Fire Safety Newsflash

Holiday Fire Safety Checklist

Posted on: December 2, 2019
Image of holiday cooking fire safety graphic

Cooking Safely During the Holiday Season

Posted on: November 25, 2019
Fire prevention month 2019

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: October 2, 2019
pool safety pic

Pool and Water Safety!

Posted on: May 21, 2019

Fatal House Fire in Lovettsville

Posted on: December 11, 2017

Ashburn Fire Displaces Family of Five

Posted on: December 9, 2017

Carbon Monoxide Safety Precautions

Posted on: December 8, 2017

Do You Have a Home Escape Plan?

Posted on: October 5, 2017

October Fire Prevention Month Events

Posted on: September 29, 2017